Retrospect 5 mac network backup

I am using Retrospect Backup 5 on a Mac G4 with Mac OS 10.1.2. I have a Windows PC connected by Ethernet using Windows 98 and the Retrospect 5 Client.

When I backup the networked Windows PC it is recognized and the process begins but it is VERY VERY SLOW. Whereas the Mac volume on which Retrospect resides copies/compares at 90/160 MB/min, the networked PC goes at about 0.5 to 4MB/min. I don't recall this being a problem when using Retrospect 4.3 and OS 9.2.

Basically, I purchased the client licenses for v5 and find the performance useless! Please help.

From the Clients Database (Configure > Clients) highlight the client and do Get Info (Command-I). This will list the connection speed.

What OS is the client? Second Edition? Do you have any other Windows clients? Are you able to try connecting them with a crossover cable so that we can isolate where we need to focus our troubleshooting? Do duplicates operate at the same speed?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Irena,

Thanks for your reply. The connections speed is approx 35 KB/S.

The client is WIN 98. I do not currently have any other clients.

I am not sure what you mean by connecting them with a crossover cable? Connecting what? How do I know if I have a crossover cable or not?

And, what do you mean "do duplicates operate at the same speed?" Duplicates of what?

Thanks.

Jeff

I'm having a similar problem, but with an X client. Performance is 1/10th of beta 2.

Can you copy a large file from the client to the server using a Finder copy, or Timbuktu or some other means, just to get Retrospect out of the loop? Does it perform as expected? Try restoring a large file. How is the restore speed?

When I do a Finder copy from my X client to 9.2 server, I get 450 MB/min yet my Retrospect backup plods along at 4 MB/min. Restores zip along at well over 100 MB/min.

I agree, it is not usable at this rate for full backups, although I can tolerate it for my incrementals.

Trying to answer jetmaster's qq.

A crossover cable allows a direct (isolated) ethernet connection between two computers. This eliminates problems caused by routers, connectors and long cables. They are fairly readily available, and are just a normal ethernet cable with a few wires swapped at one end.

Duplicate is one of the "Immediate" options - for duplicating disks or folders. I can only guess that the suggestion is to duplicate something from the Win machine to a new subvolume - you'll see the option when you do it - on the server, and see how fast it goes.

I just tried a RESTORE and that went fast at 100MB/Min.

Finder copy via PC MacLan was also fine, though I don't know how to measure the speed. It was progressing as expected though.

The problem is with the copying via Retrospect which happens as you say at 4MB/MIN and while I can live with the incrementals, the initial full backup is intolerable. I go to bed at night, and it's not even close to finishing when I get up.

Irene asked for some configuration information last week, which I provided. I haven't heard anything back. But it is conforting to know that I'm not the only one with the problem. Given all the reported problems here, they probably have to prioritize and go after the problems that many people are seeing. Me thinks it will be awhile until they get to our problem. I'm dreading the next recycle backup.

Irene asked for some configuration information last week, which I provided.

The one thing that seems to be lacking from most posts here is _complete_ configuration information.

For example, a post that does not include the hardware setup is leaving out crucial details.

And a post that does not include the Retrospect configuration is leaving out crucial details.

Even worse, when Irena asks specific questions such as "did you try a cross-over cable" and the person asking for help doesn't reply with "I did and the problem went away" or "I did but the problem persisted" then how can help be forthcoming?

Give it all. Macintosh model. Device brand and model. Backup Type. OS version. The whole ball of wax.

Dave

Providing full configuration details is important. In my case, I was an invited beta tester and have emailed that information to Dantz for each problem I reported during the beta trial so they're well aware of my configuration. However, things change incrementally and it's probably useful for others to see the configuration as well.

So here it is:

Retrospect X Client 5.0.528, Mac OS 10.1.3 + security patch, PowerBook G3 Bronze (Lombard), 384 MB memory.

Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.203, Server Backup, Mac OS 9.2.2, PowerMac G4/450, 192 MB real, 256 MB VM.

100BT Full Duplex Switch

Archived