client crashes on back-up

Quote:

Every time I have the screen saver on, on my client machine and retrosp. logs in to back it up, it locks up crashing the system.

You have at least two machines, but you give specifics on only one. Please provide complete information on you system and what it's doing.

- Which machine freezes, the Retrospect application machine, or the client?

- Which machine is the G4?

- What sort of machine is the other one?

- Does this happen with all OS X screensaver modules?

Dave

I think I said the client machine which is G4/500/500 running OSX.2.8, 1gb ram. The server machine is a G4/733 running OSX.2.8 756mb ram. I also have an iMac running OSx.2.8 and a Gateway PC running WindowsXP on the network. I back-up every night. This only happens to the G4/500/500 client when the screensaver is on. the OS screensaver. If I disable it it backs up fine.

Thanks for getting back to me and any light you can shed on this.

I'm using client version 5.0.201

What happens is the client machine freezes. I can't escape and moving the mouse or pressing any key doesn't unlock it. It's only on the G4/500/500. Doesn't happen on the iMac or the PC or the server machine for that matter. Which I guess is not really a server but the G4/733 that I run the app from.

What is SSH? I'm not that tech on many things. I can log into the client machine with "connect to server". But not while it's locked up of course. Retrospect keeps trying though. A small box shows that and is saying "net retry". Eventually it must stop and go on because the log shows the client was not visible on the network.

Don't know. It's happening here. Even after several system updates which I figured should fix some things. I run Nortion disk doctor regularly but hasn't seemed to help. It's annoying. Sometimes I let the system run all night and I hate burning my screen for hours.

Archived