Getting Full Backup instead of Normal Backup

We've been running Retrospect 4.x on an older Mac for several years now. Great product.

I recently started a new StorageSet series with 3 StorageSets in the series: A, B, and C. We'll be running this series for at least 6 months.

On Mondays mornings, I start the next StorageSet in the new series, and each time for the last several weeks, Retrospect treats 1 (and only 1) of the volumes that it backs up as though the volume were NEW on our network. Does a FULL backup on it, not an incremental backup. Every Monday, in other words, Retrospect backs up 17G on this volume, even though it has already backed it up fully several times.

I have everything set as Normal Backup (not Full Backup).

If someone can assist me in _incrementally_ backing up this 1 volume, I'd greatly appreciate it. DLT tapes, as everyone knows, are expensive.

Many thanks,

Randy Scott

Obata Design, Inc.

St. Louis, MO

Nate,

Hey, thanks so very much. We're using Mac 8.1, and Daylight Savings Time went away during the 3-week interval between the last time I used "A" StorageSet and this time (beginning yesterday). I did change the time on the machine last week, but did not alter any DST setting. Still, I bet that's the problem.

We're using Retrospect client to connect to the volume in question.

I'll continue to monitor the situation to make sure.

Again, many thanks.

Randy

Nate,

Another factor that may be involved in Retrospect doing a full backup instead of the expected incremental backup is Microsoft security patching. Yesterday morning I updated security patches on both of our main PC servers, and last night Retrospect starting retrieving a FULL backup on both machines, even though the StorageSet in question had backed up both machines several times.

What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts? Can Microsoft security patches cause the Mac 8.1 Retrospect machine to reflag ALL files?

Many thanks for any input.

Randy Scott

Obata Design, Inc.

Hi

There are a lot of things that can cause it. The only safe assumption is that the files on the backup set and the files on the machines being backed up do not match exactly. If a security update makes minor changes to all of your files then they are going to be backed up again. Virus detection programs can do this kind of thing when they are installed so it is reasonable to believe a windows update could do the same.

Nate

• 5 months later...

Security Patches!!

We have W2000 servers, Retrospect 5 on an OS 9 Mac.

We're backing up four AFP mounted volumes from one of the servers, and last night it started to do a full (new) backup on one of those volumes, but not the others. (It has 145 GBs on it.)

Earlier that evening we ran security patch updates on that server. (#'s KB837009, KB831167, KB828741, KB837001, and KB835732.)

It's interesting that only one of the three volumes wants the full backup, the others stayed with the incremental.

Unfortunately, this forces us to do a new full backup tonight, which will cost us approx. $350 in AIT tapes - since our existing set is only seven tapes short of a full set of twenty.

Any suggestions? Are we stuck with this? Any work around, or thoughts on what might be different on the one volume?

Do we have to wait for the Daylight Saving Tiime change before running the security patches?

Archived