Error -36 on compare

Retrospect 5.0 is having a recurring problem when trying to compare a client to a backup set once the catalog file goes above 75 megs. This has happened three times. Rebuilding the catalog from tape fixes it, but why is this happening in the first place?

Whether or not the 75 meg catalog file is connected or not I can't say for sure. However, the first time this happened, the catalog was 76 megs. Upon rebuild it was about 56 megs, due to the death of a tape in the set and as such there was less data in the catalog. Now the catalog is 77 megs, and it's failing like clockwork.

The exact error shows up in the log as "Trouble matching (client) to (set), error -36 (i/o error, ...". Immediately after that shows up in the log, the computer locks up and requires a force reboot. (The log is open in the background, since the crash causes the last log messages to be lost.)

I'll try another catalog rebuild, but this problem keeps repeating itself. This was not present under Retro 4.3, same clients and amount of data. This is Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.023 running on MacOS 9.1. The Mac is dedicated to running Retrospect and has clean installs of both MacOS and Retrospect.

The -36 error almost always indicates a failure on the drive it's referencing. It's saying that it can't match against the catalog, so I'd say the drive you have the catalog file saved to is the most likely culprit.

As a test, can you save the catalog file elsewhere?

Yes, I have either another hard drive or a network mounted volume. I'll give that a try and see what happens. I just finished a rebuild from tapes, and it seems to have locked up already. I might have a hardware issue I need to play with.

Is the catalog file itself actually bad, or was it just a drive error and the file might be able to be copied elsewhere and still used?

It's possible that the catalog file is still good, but it's also possible that it was damaged. If the latter is the case, you'll most likely get errors when trying to do a Finder copy of it. Give it a try! If not, rebuild from scratch going to another location.

Irena

Archived