Permissions for Mac OS X client

Murphie

Small workgroup--Backup computer and one client running Win XP Pro, another Win 98. Win 98 always backed up without problems. XP client gave me -1017 problems for a while, but we solved those (thanks Nate!), but now I added a Mac G4 notebook--it never has backed up completely. Various error messages at various times. At first -530, later -1116, and the last few tries, -1017. I'm using the latest update of RP and RDU. Can anyone tell me what special things I need to know about Mac OS clients? Since the rest of the system seems to be backing up OK (except for the assert error one night which only happened once). I set the notebook to not sleep at all, so it's not that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Murphie

It's a pretty new machine--G4 Powerbook, 800 Mhz, 786 RAM. Sorry, I got it as a gift, and I'm not sure exactly what other information you need.

I had originally only chosen the document folders to be backed up, and it never worked. But the next time around, RP backed up the whole hard drive on the Mac--I must have mistakenly chosen the HD as a volume when I edited the script--including the folders that it claimed not to have permissions for before. (It took about 18 hours!) That makes it look like it's a problem with the script, since the network does seem to be OK--correct? Maybe I need to redo the scripts next and see what happens...

Thank you very much for your help!

Murphie

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got some time to think about this again. The powerbook is hardware version 2.1. The articles mention "some older Macintosh computers", but don't say which are considered older. But I don't think it's really that old.

In the volumes window, when I right click each subvolume and choose Login As, I tried using the name of the Mac first, and when that didn't work I tried using the name of the backup computer and its password, which I think should be correct--yes?. I also checked using the little network icon icon in the properties window. It's set to connect as the backup computer. But it still doesn't work, I still get "insufficient permissions, error -1017"--even as soon as I try to validate the script.

What else can I try? The permissions in Preferences are OK--the rest of the network is backing up fine.

Thank you!

Murphie

Um, no, I'm using Retrospect Client. Mac OS X (10.2.8). Networked through OS X, TCP/IP as usual, (and it even works.) But in the script in RP, accessing through My Network Places instead of Backup Clients.

I just tried an immediate backup, and it's working. Login screen came up with "login as" already filled in--as the client instead of the backup computer.

I'm still confused...but at least it's getting backed up.

Any other ideas? Thank you!

Murphie

Hi

The best way to access networked machines for backup is via Retrospect client. Otherwise you have to deal with windows networking and you have to sort out the logins or you will get errors.

Is it possible for you to access the windows computer via Retrospect client rather than browsing to it in "my network palces"?

Thanks

Nate

Archived