Maxtor 5000XT not recognised during DR RECOVERY?

My Maxtor 5000XT works fine with Retrospect 6.5 (latest Dantz drivers), however I have just found out the hard way that the Disaster Recovery process fails during a restore (yeah thats right, at the point in time when you really, really NEED it to work!) because the Maxtor is not listed in the available drives list?

At the point in time when the two DR disk were created (yes it has failed twice following two separated rebuilds) I was using the Maxtor to store the backups, then created the DR CD's with no problems from the Maxtor. The DR process installs the minimal Windows config, boots then asks for the appropriatte media, which of course is on the Maxtor!

This has really created a major problem as it forced a purchase of an external CD drive for my NEC Tablet PC so that I could recover my system. Dantz 30 days installation support is fine but they should offer a free service for problems such as mine, where everything works fine accept for one item which could take months to discover.

Quote:

Dereck said:

My Maxtor 5000XT works fine with Retrospect 6.5 (latest Dantz drivers), however I have just found out the hard way that the Disaster Recovery process fails during a restore (yeah thats right, at the point in time when you really, really NEED it to work!) because the Maxtor is not listed in the available drives list?

At the point in time when the two DR disk were created (yes it has failed twice following two separated rebuilds) I was using the Maxtor to store the backups, then created the DR CD's with no problems from the Maxtor. The DR process installs the minimal Windows config, boots then asks for the appropriatte media, which of course is on the Maxtor!

This has really created a major problem as it forced a purchase of an external CD drive for my NEC Tablet PC so that I could recover my system. Dantz 30 days installation support is fine but they should offer a free service for problems such as mine, where everything works fine accept for one item which could take months to discover.

I have the 5000LE, which is USB.

The initial temporary OS built by the DR wil lnot show the USB drives

During the initial temporary OS build, one can use F6 to load more drivers, but, alas, in my case, it only accepts floppies and I have the USB card adapters only on CD-ROM.

However, if I cancel the restore, the DR then goes on to build a more fully functional temporary OS.

It asks for rge Win 2000 CD to ge tmore drivers, but that is unnecssary as the drivers are indeed on the DR CD-RON built by Retrospect.

So I just have the build of the OS get th edrivers from the DR CD-ROM and the devices are then available.

Since the drivers are on the DR CD, it makes no sense for Retrospect to not load the drivers for USB cards for the initial temporary OS.

Archived