error -557 (transaction already complete) - what's the answer?

shapwolf

I'm running Retrospect 6.5 build 336 on a Windows 2003 Standard Server, trying to backup a server running NT 4 SP6a, running client 6.5.132.

Problem: When I try to access the drives (e.g. instant backup, preview), I get error -557 (transaction already complete). I've searched the Dantz site and found no elaboration on this error. I've read all the posts on this, and followed the advice about rebooting both machines --- no joy, same error.

The operations log just has this:

"Can't access volume c-srl2 (C:) on SRL2, error -557 (transaction already complete)"

(repeats for each volume it failed to access) (singularly unhelpful log, IMHO)

I can successfully backup other machines on the network, including an identical server sitting right next to the troublesome one. Both are HP LC III Netservers; identical hardware and software. All are connected to the same 10/100 switch.

I'm new to Retrospect and having enough trouble learning its ways without these problems. It doesn't look from the earlier problems posted on this same error as if anyone ever gave a technical answer to what the cause of this error is, and how to track down the culprits?

Does that kind of support happen here? This is my first post on this board, surprise me, please!

Thanks!

Hi

This is a new one to me. Any chance you can try dropping a second NIC into the NT machine? Either that or reinstalling the existing NIC drivers would be a good place to start.

At first glance it seems like it could be a data buffering problem of some kind. Try slowing the NIC down to 10Mb and see if that helps.

You can also try an older version of the Retrospect client software. The client was redone for 6.5 - but the 6.0 client is still compatible with Retro 6.5. ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/client_60.exe

Nate

Well, tried installing 6.0 client. Now I can't connect to the machine at all, get message "Sorry, couldn't connect to SRL2, error -525, (wrong client found at that address).

It seems as if the 6.0 client is not compatible with the 6.5 multiserver?

Any other ideas, anyone? This is baffling, as the machine right next to it, with identical hardware and software, backs up just fine.

Thanks for any help.

Hi

You removed the old client from the client database in Retrospect right? And you rebooted the client machine after the uninstall of 6.5 but before the reinstall of 6.0?

The error message seems to indicate that Retrospect knows of another client with that name/ address combination. Verify that the client isn't listed twice in the client database.

You can also try a test install of Retrospect on another machine and see if you can log in the client from there. If that works you may have corrupt preferences in Retrospect.

Nate

Well, I had a hard time uninstalling the 6.5 client; it didn't show up under add/remove programs (NT 4 Server). But I eventually got rid of it and got the 6.0 client running cleanly; still got the 'wrong client' message when trying to connect to it from 6.5 Multi Server. Are you sure the 6.0 client works with 6.5 Multi Server?

So I uninstalled the 6.0 client and put the 6.5 ver 127 client on the remote machine (and yes, rebooting each time between installs). Now it works. I'm not going to update it to the ver 132 client that its identical sister server runs; why mess with a good thing?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Archived