Media request timeout after waiting 0:15:00

NBroM

My past two backups have ended with each script reporting:

Media request timeout after waiting 0:15:00

On the first machine it touches. It then stops the script and moves to the next one not attempting to connect ot any other machine in the first script.

I've seen the error before but never twice in a row and never for my first script. I've restarted to see if that will solve the problem, my real question is what this error means. Did the backup sets get lost? can it not get the info from the machine being backed-up? I'm kinda at a losss of what do to since before the probelm just went away with out my intervention. ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Info: Retrospect Server is running Windows XP Pro.

Hi

For whatever reason Retrospect did not find the media it was looking for. You can set up email notification - that may give you some more info. You can also try manually running the script while you are there to watch it. A media request window will tell you exactly which media it is looking for.

What kind of backup are you doing?

Nate

Hi,

The problem cleared up after a restart, but nowtoday the desktop script did the same thing.

The backup is incremental using open-file backup, backing up a range of different files, documents and settings, database dumps, public folders, etc.

I'm still unclear on what media cannot be found, can it not find the media from the of the backup sets? Or can it not find the data I'm trying to backup.

Thanks.

Is this problem happening with all backup sets or only this particular backup set? These types of errors can indicate anything from a damaged catalog/backup set to a faulty drive.

If the problem is specific to this backup set, I would try is to rebuild the catalog file under Tools > Repair. Start rebuilding from the very first member. When prompted to save the catalog file, do not save it in the same location as the original (which would overwrite it).

If the problem is specific to backup sets on this particular drive, try running disk utilities, check the cabling, and isolate the drive (not chained).

If the problem is happening on backup sets on multiple Firewire drives, check for updates for the Firewire card (or the computer vendor if you have onboard Firewire). Try a different Firewire port (if possible), and try isolating the drives one by one to see if the problem replicates when they are not chained together.

Archived