Help With Snapshots

MikeRadio

Somethign I am trying to figure out here...

If I do a full backup of my C drive I take a snapshot and assume I can restore the entire drive using it if needed.

However, right now I am also doing a snapshot on drive C when I do a selected files backup using a selector. This only backs up certain files, yet the snapshot still snapshots the C drive.

What I am wondering is, if if the snapshot I take when NOT backing up all the files can be used to restore thee drive fully like the one when I do every file on the drive?

I would assume it couldn't because it only backs up selected files in that backup set.

Can someone clear this up for me? If it can't be used, I will disable the snapshot on the selected files backup.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

By default the Snapshot of the startup disk includes the Registry and NTFS permissions for folders, even if you are only backing up a limited amount of data from that disk.

If you choose to exclude key system files from the backup (like the Windows directory) then a complete system restore will not be possible. If the files are excluded from backup, they can't be restored.

Archived