Disk is not accessible.

mikeleblanc

I have been using Prof 6.0 on Windows 98 backing up to "disk" backup sets located on an Iomega NAS. A few days ago I upgraded to XP and (you guessed it) my backups started failing. It will start as usual and work as expected until it has written 760mb. Then it asks me to select a new disk to add to the set. Huh? So I try to select one of the volumes in the presented list and draw the error "Disk is not accessible." I get this even for the volume it had just been writing to.

So I bought the 6.5 upgrade and installed it. Same result. Yes, I changed the launcher service to login as me rather than "system". Yes, I configured all volumes for automatic login as me. Yes, I tried to configure -> preferences -> security "Always run Retrospect as the specified user", but it always fails with the message "Can't grant necessary user privileges."

Does anyone out there have any clues?

Mike

Under RP6.5, you don't edit the Service (anymore...). leave it as LocalSystem. Only edit the Security tab as the admin-level (network allowed) user. If you edit the Service then try to set the Prefs->Security login permissions, you'll get the message you're seeing.

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=professional&Number=29922&Forum=All_Forums&Words=GoAWest&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=29861&Search=true#Post29922

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay. I can't spend much time on this. I have tried creating a brand new backup set, but the problem persists. With regard to the firmware on my NAS, it's probably a little out of date. But it worked fine under W98, it only started screwing up under XP. And it continues to work just fine with 5.1 on a Mac running 10.2.8. I am at the point of writing off RP as a total loss and shifting to Macs to do the work, with the PCs as clients.

Archived