Missing Partitions

Bismillaah. Peace;I have a maxtor usb external hdd 5000le, which suddenly lost all (four) partitions without warning. I have Retrospect express 5.6, but I seldom used it because I had XP, Backup and a small roxio program which worked, until I could work with Retrospect. There may have been conflict with xp disk management. I was about to reformat the partitions with a third party partitioning software. But before I could get around to it, all of the drives disappeared. The maxtor drive is not visible in xp disk management, nor explorer's folder, in My Computer. Device Manager shows the maxtor drive as functioning normally, and the drivers too are O.K. It is also visible in the bios. I uninstalled the external drive through device manager, and restarted. The drive was found by win xp, but no drive letters appeared in My Computer folder. I've reinstalled Retrospect Express, but there was no change in the external drive. I tried a repair with Retrospect Express CD. No change. I'm running win xp on a Compaq Presario 2500 notebook, P4, 2.40, 512 ram. Any help will be appreciated. BlueSkies.

Bismillaah. Peace; I took the Maxtor (80 gb) harddrive to the place of purchase to check its status. Reportedly; No partitions were visible, device manager indicates that the drive is present, along with drivers.

The strange thing about this problem is that Retrospect Express never found the Maxtor drive, even though My Computer had (previously) listed all four of the partitions. Well, it (Retrospect Express) didn't find the CD/DVD drive, or the 40 GB drive that mounts win xp. After installing new drivers (the one touch feature hadn't worked) Retrospect Express did find the notebook drive and the CD/DVD drive, (the one touch feature now works) but still couldn't see the Maxtor drive. Any help will be appreciated. BlueSkies.

Hi

This is usually caused by a flaky connection between the drive and the computer. Either that or a driver problem. Power down the computer and the maxtor drive. Then power up the computer, power up the Maxtor and wait 30 seconds. Then plug the Maxtor drive into the computer. Once you have done that Launch Retrospect and see if the drive shows up.

Nate

Bismillaah. Peace; natew, thanks for your reply. I did try your suggestion. There is some sort of problem with the usb connector, as I find that pressing the one touch button, does not meet with immediate response. So, I have to wiggle the connector a bit, and maybe pull it out a little before Retrospect Express, will start up. The only difference that I have noted in regard to Retrospect Express, is that 'Maxtor Drive', is in the 'Run' menu now. I don't know when it appeared. Clicking on it causes an error dialog box to appear stating: 'X sorry can't execute Maxtor drive (no volume selected)'. Clicking 'edit' brings up another box showing drive C: only, no other volume. Any future help will be appreciated. BlueSkies.

Bismillaah. Salaam (Peace); The one touch feature is again working as it should, but now I am receiving an error # 1102. I've searched though the "help" listing in Retrospect Express, but I cannot find an explanation for # 1102. Does anyone here know what it means? Thanks, in advance for any help. BlueSkies.

Hi

I think your USB connector is the cause of all of this. Error 1102 is "drive missing or unavailable"

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27006

Edit the one touch backup script from the "Automate" menu in Retrospect. Then go in and change the destination of the script to a different folder on you maxtor drive.

My guess is that you will have 2 maxtor drives listed when you go to choose the destination. One of those won't work so just delete it from the Retrospect volume selection window.

Nate

Archived