-206 on dvd+r, but media verifies after...

Hello,

I am getting a -206 media error on the last 4 backup sets. Media error comes after about 10-20 sessions and when dvd has used 2.6 to 3.2 gig. After the error, the media seems to be “tagged” as bad, and can no longer be used. If I do a verify of the media, there is no indication of any file problems, on all 4 of the rejected dvds.

(gives following for all 4 media)

+ Executing Verify at 10/31/2003 11:05

To Backup Set DataBackup Set E [001]...

10/31/2003 11:19:03: Execution completed successfully

Remaining: 5 files, 256 KB

Completed: 19396 files, 2.7 GB

Performance: 196.8 MB/minute

Duration: 00:13:56 (00:00:01 idle/loading/preparing)

I am using Retro 6.5.336, win2k latest sp, backup up to Sony DRU510a ide, using ASPI 4.71.2, 4.5.101 RDU, dma enabled. I am writing to Verbatim dvd+r. DRU510a is master with DVD-rom slave on second ide channel. Cpu is pIII 800mhz.

Questions:

-Am I ok to assume that files on the -206 disks are ok if verify likes them?

-Does Retro mark dvd after receiving a -206 error, because media show status “content damaged” under configure devices immediately after insert? Or does it mark the catalogue?

-Do you recommend I give up on this spindle of DVD’s or should I try something that’s not intuitive like enabling NT pass through?

-since the verify works, would deleting and rebuilding the catalogue allow continued use of the dvd?

Regards,

Glenn

Hi

Verify compares the data in the catalog file against the data that is stored on your backup media. You are relatively safe with these disks but I would start another set if possible. Disks that are flaky during backup can be a nightmare during restore.

Trying another brand of disk is a good idea. Taiyou Yuden wins my vote as they are probably the only media still made in Japan. I have yet to have a coaster with them. Bad news is they are hard to come by.

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Archived