error 519

igolf

We are home networked using a home phone networking (hpn) system. One of the clients backed up fine, the other client keeps giving the 519 error when just running preview. This client used to back up, but we started having problems with the hpn card in that computer. We went to using the USB connection for the hpn.

To anticipate some questions, the client that is not working is closer to the backup computer than the client that is working.

The files on the client that is not working are smaller than the files on the client that is working

What maybe a connection to this problem is that sometimes when we receive phone calls we get a 519 error. However, that occurs during a backup itself and we are able to resume the backup.

I have gone through tech note 415 and have done as many of the troubleshooting things that I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

We have version 5.15

The server is windows 98, the working client is windows 98se, and the client with problems is windows me.

To answer the reliable question, all three computers can communicate with each other, all three have internet connections through a hub, and I can copies files from client with win me to the server with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Copying files through filesharing is different than backing up through Retrospect, which uses TCP/IP.

These computers need to have a reliable TCP/IP connection. If one computer's working and the other one is giving errors, try swapping out as much as you can between the two; network cables, locations, etc.

Also, please note that 5.15 has never been tested with Windows ME. Try downloading the trial version (which is 5.6) and see if that has an effect. If so, you may need to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem. I have two computers upstairs connected to my downstairs LAN over a Netgear PE102 HPNA-to-Ethernet bridge. The bridge is connected to a Netgear FS308 Fast Ethernet switch (as are all the other downstairs computers as well as my ISDN router which provides the shared connection to the Internet).

Both machines upstairs are identical (same motherboard, P3-1000, 512 MB RAM, 40GB hard drives, Netgear PA301 HPNA network adapters, everything is even in the same slots, and the same IRQ's are allocated, etc.). One backs up fine. The other backs up the C partition fine, but when it goes to try to backup the D, E and F partitions, it fails with the 519 error. If I then try to restart the failed backup job, it works fine and runs to completion. Both machines are equally far away from the backup computer (which is a 2.2 Ghz P4 with 1 GB of PC800 Rambus RAM). The backups are being written to a Maxtor 160 GB external firewire 7200 RPM hard drive. All 3 machines are running Windows XP Professional.

I'm wondering if it could be some sort of timeout problem caused by the fact that the delay to create the snapshot after finishing the C drive is so much longer than the delay between the other drives (since, being the system partition, it tends to have a lot more files on it, plus it contains the registry, which must be backed up as well). Perhaps a combination of that and the relatively slow HPNA 2.0 performance (which is nominally 10 megabits, but in typically hovers in the 6 to 8 megabit range). Maybe Dantz only tests on standard 10/100 Ethernet. Just a thought.

In any event, it sure is annoying (annoying enough that I've reluctantly begun searching for an alternate backup solution). I'd be more than willing to spend time helping Dantz troubleshoot this. If it is some timing thing specific to HPNA networks I'd think they would be interested in getting to the bottom of it, as it would help increase product penetration into the growing number of networked homes.

Archived