System Files Missing

skinink66

Noob Here, so I could use a little help blush.gif,

I installed a Maxtor 200GB HD that came with the software, everything is installed and running fine. I created 3 partitions on the new disk. I began by duplicating my Video C: drive to one of the new partitions, Video H:. It ran fine, but when it wasd done I had a problem. The main directory structure looked fine in explorer, but in the Program Files, Windows, and my personal stuff in Docs and Settings, there was no data. Everything else moved over except these. I have about 14GB on my original disk and the new disk says its only using about 1.8GB. I wanted to just so to say 'GHOST' my original drive as a backup.

Is there something I'm missing, a setting maybe. I don't understand why 'duplicate' will not duplicate everything confused.gif. Thanks in advance. wink.gif

System:

WinXP Pro

P4 2.8 1meg DDRAM

Do you know if your system supports 200GB harddrives? There's a limitation on many systems (HW + BIOS + SW/Windows) that limits IDE drive size to 137GB unless the LBA (Logical Block Addressing) is changed to support larger drives. I've done this on systems with a dedicated IDE card with larger LBA support + turning on a W2K/XP reg. setting (may be on my default in XP). Most USB-IDE enclosures also have this limitation (only support up to 137GB, where you find 120G drives commonly used).

If this isn't turned on, I've seen some systems that will only show you 137GB of a bigger drives, others that imply that data is there but things don't work reliably.

Thanks natew,

It is in fact a Maxtor OneTouch. Can you tell me why it won't 'dupe' these files. Does it have to do with the software or is it a hardware issue. Can I maybe get away with just 'draging and dropping' my c:\ drive to the Maxtor to copy everything? confused.gif Thanks!!

Hi

To duplicate the Registry you need Retrospect professional version or higher. Retrospect Express has always had this limitation. Unfortunately you cannot drag and drop a windows disk and have it boot later.

I would download the trial version of Retro 6.5 professional first to make sure everything works right.

Nate

Archived