Assertion failure at "tsynch.cpp-127"

queball

I keep getting these errors on a semi-regular basis when trying to do backup.

Assertion failure at "tsynch.cpp-127"

I'm running Retrospect server 6.5.336

There are typically 4 simultaneous executions doing backup of Windows 98 clients running client version 6.5.132

The clients are on the other end of a VPN link that runs between 1.5 MB/min and 4.5 MB/min doing the backup depending on the site and if the VPN router pair on the link supports compression or not.

The backup destination is a file backup set for each client.

HINT. You really should be compressing the data at the client, it would save lots of time on these slow links.

Anyhow, tried reinstalling retrospect and even deleting the all users\application data\retrospect folder and recreating all the settings but it still crashes on me.

Running Windows 2000 server sp4 with all critical updates installed.

I found that if I stagger the start time of the scripts by 1 minute it decreases the chance of it crashing.

If looking at the crash log helps then I put it somewhere it can be downloaded.

Assert Log

Hi

Scanning clients is a pretty processor and memory intensive process. Errors like the one you are seeing are most often related to memory management either on the system or in Retrospect. Staggering the backups would help distribute that load. My guess is that staggering them by 5 minutes or so might clear up the problem all together.

How much ram is on your backup machine?

Thanks

Nate

The backup machine has 640MB or ram. Running Windows 2000 server.

I currently show there is over 300MB of Available physical memory.

There were no entries in the Event log at the time of the errors to indicate that windows had denied a memory request or was increasing the size of the pagefile.

Hi

There are a lot of possibilities here - this is basic stuff but worth a try:

Flaky RAM?

Try pulling out a stick of ram and see if that helps. Or rearrange the RAM in the machine so other chips are used sooner.

I/O could also be a problem. Make sure you have a current BIOS and that your NIC drivers are up to date. Make sure the SCSI card firmware and drivers are up to date too.

Nate

Archived