NEC 1300A Auto Config Problems

I have been using Retrospect since it first came out on the Mac (1991?). Anyway, I now run 6.5.336/RDU 4.5.101 on WinXP. I have recently installed a NEC 1300A DVD +-R/RW drive and can not get it to configure. I talked w/ Dantz tech support yesterday and told them that I have tried CD-R (worked) DVD-RW (failed), and DVD+R (failed). Tech support suggested that I try DVD+RW and that should work no problem. Guess what? - it failed too. Anyone have any ideas other that to wait for drive certification?

Thanks!!

DK

ASPI has been installed previous to this problem.

I have two IDE hard drives, a DVD ROM, and a DVD writer.

My current work around is to back up to disk (4.4 GB max member size) and then use Nero to burn to a +RW DVD. So far so good.

BTW: Nero was installed AFTER I started having problems with the configurator.

Hopefully Dantz will have a driver update out soon. Any other suggestions would be much apprciated.

Thanks,

Dale

Hi

If you have had ASPI from the start we may want to try it the other way around - using NT passthrough instead. to do this type ctrl + ALT + P +P at any window in Retrospect. In the preferences window that is displayed click on the "execution" heading and enable NT passthrough.

Nate

• 1 month later...

FYI, I have a NEC ND-1300A in a new emachines T2865, and Retrospect Professional 6.5 did a great job of automatically configuring it. It wrote a DVD-R drive Custom Configuration Test Disk. I then did a full backup to a different piece of DVD-R media, and then an 'incremental' backup to the same piece of media. I also did a restore, which worked fine. I didn't need to do any special configuration or twiddling at all.

I'm very impressed at how Retrospect did this custom configuration. It even prompted me to enter a different type of media. I'm going to try this, when I get some DVD-RW media.

tl

• 2 months later...

Archived