Testing DR CD

rschofield

[Retrospect 6.5.336 Professional on Windows XP-Home]

I have just created my first Disaster Recovery CD and would like to test that it is bootable on my machine. Windows Explorer shows the directory structure, so I know that I've written the ISO image correctly. The manual states that the disaster recovery process will start automatically when the CD is booted but I don't want it to actually do anything other than prove that it is bootable.

Is is safe to boot from the DR CD with no intention of restoring my hard drive?

Dick

Hi

You can boot it safely. If you are really worried, go into the BIOS and disable your hard drive before you try it.

You can also just make sure the machine starts to boot from the CD and cut the power at that point. It will not damage the hard disk.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

While I've had very few issues/problems restoring a system using Retrospect, I would strong recommend that you get a spare hard drive that you could substitute for your system drive and do a full test.

I've had to restore my system several times in the past 10 years. It was a big disappointment when a backup didn't actually work! [The main culprit was Drive Image/Drive Copy]. I did find a problem with even Dantz DR when I first started using WinXP - because I had bought an OEM version. While 6.5 sovled the problem, I would have been out of luck if I hadn't tried to do a full restore.

Archived