I can't backup iMac System 9.2.2 w/ Retro 5.2 to internal CD-RW.

I've spent an entire day trying to backup my iMac running 9.2.2 using Retrospect 5.2 and the iMac's internal CD-RW (a Matshita AH36 CW-7121). I have gone through piles of CD-R's of various brands and also CD-RW's. I've gone through the tedious Auto Configure process several times. I have succeeded in writing only 1 CD-R. All the others have been rejected.

This is the first time I've used Retrospect in years, and I relied on it pretty heavily once. I am really disappointed and frustrated. I feel like I've wasted my time and money, both of which I was already short on.

Is there anyway to get the configuration I've described to work?

Thanks.

Hi

There is no Retrospect 5.2 so we should get the versions straight first.

Your Retrospect operations log has both the Retrospect version and driver update version listed. Check those and make sure you have the latest driver update.

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/updates.dtml

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=8579

Nate

Sorry. It's Retrospect 5.1.175, Drivers 4.0.103.

I've gotten rdu41 update, which I'll install, and I'll check that all the necessary extensions are ok. If you don't hear from me, it means things are working.

Thanks so much for your very prompt reply!

Burnet

Ok, now I'm running with Drivers 4.1.109. The extensions checked out ok. Still, it writes first cd of the set and fails repeatedly (fresh cd each time) on the second with the message

Trouble writing media:

"name of cd"

error 100 (device rejected command)

I noticed the when I reran the auto configuration the only problem that showed up was failing on write method 1, but it succeeded with write method 2. Whatever that means.

Thank you for your assistance and for any additional suggestions or solutions.

Burnet

Hi

The next step is to try a different type and brand of media. TDK seems to work well. You may want to try CDR media rather than CDRW media as well. Also make sure the speed rating of the media is equall or greater than the write speed of your drive.

Here is some more info on the subject

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27096

Nate

I tried all those things (different brands, CD-R, CD-RW, all high speed) in the beginning. Didn't help.

I've decided that the problem may be the CD drive itself. I tried to do a manual backup to a CD, and the write eventually failed on that. I have been able to backup my PB G4 running 10.2.8 using Retrospect with no problems.

Any suggestions for a replacement drive for the iMac would be welcome. I should probably go ahead to DVD.

Thank you very much for the help.

Burnet

Archived