I have created a back-up script which performs a routine back-up of our mac Xserve. about 3 weeks ago the back-up began failing due to a -43 error.

Short of getting a technician to perform maintenance on our server I am going to attempt to back-up each directory individually to isolate the -43 error.

Does this seem like a workaround?

Hi

You probably have a folder on your hard drive that has some non-standard characters in the name. Some Japanese characters are famous for this. Try backing up your hard drive one subvolume (folder) at a time until you find the folder that fails. Then break that folder into subvolumes and repeat the process until you figure out which folder causes the failure.

one hint - it is probably in the users folder so start there.

Nate

Strangely the problem is only recent. Originally We fixed the problem (on 2 occasions) by running alsoft's disk warrior (a disk utility) on the source drive. Today the -43 error is back. I have now tried to pinpoint the problem by backing up select folders (subvolumes) a fiew at a time. One folder seems to be problomatic, but if I run the script on all but that folder I still get an error in the log (-43, execution incomplete).

Here is my question...

I noticed while choosing subvolumes, that there were folders on the source drive that are apparently invisable (Desktop, .Trashes, .FBClockFolder, etc.). Are these getting scanned too? If you choose a subvolume, does it skip these other folders?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived