Server: no privileges

Ken

I keep getting an error message "-5000 (server: no privileges) when I try to create a backup destination across my network. I have a network in my house as follows: iMac G4 with retorspect 5.o installed, a G3 with retrospect client 5.0 installed and a Powerbook G3 with retropect client 5.0 installed. The imac is running OSX and the other machines are running 9.2. I am able to mount all hard drives on my imac in the normal fashion and can copy files using drag and drop in the standard file sharing way. I have full read/write privilges enabled on my G3 and Powerbook. I must be missing something basic in the Retrospect setup as it seems to me that if I can copy files across my network outside of retrospect then I should be able to backup from within Retrospect as well. Help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

When dealing with network volumes, you need to set everything up as described in the Readme:

Backing Up To or From Mounted AppleShare Volumes: There are two ways to back up to or from AppleShare File Server (AFP) volumes under OS X:

* Configure Retrospect to mount the AFP volume on the desktop.

For information on how to log in as root under OS X, please read Apple Computer's KnowledgeBase article #106290, Mac OS X: About the root User and How to Enable It.

To have Retrospect automatically mount an AFP volume on your desktop:

* Mount the AFP volume on your desktop using your login

* In Retrospect go to Configure>Volumes and highlight the mounted volume

* From the Volumes menu choose Configure (Command-J)

* Provide Retrospect with the password to connect to the AFP volume

* Unmount the AFP volume in Finder

* Include the AFP volume in your backup script.

When it needs to access the volume, Retrospect will mount the AFP volume on the desktop, access it, and then unmount it when done.

Note: When Retrospect has mounted the volume, you will not be able to see the volume's contents from the Finder.

If you back up a mounted AFP volume using either method listed above, privileges are not preserved and can not be restored. The only way to back up and restore privileges from a volume over a network is to back up the computer using Retrospect Client Software.

Archived