Retrospect ftp vs. sftp

pjb23

Is there a way to configure Retrospect Mac OS X v5.x to use sftp instead of ftp? My backup server is also my webserver so I do not want to open up the ftp ports on that computer. I do have ssh turned on and would prefer to use sftp for backups. I am trying to have the host computers backup via ftp instead of using clients if possible.

Hi

Unfortunately Retrospect can't do this natively. It is a great idea though.

Maybe you could use a shell script to set up an secure connection to the remote machine and then use Retrospect FTP from there? - I know... this is pretty far fetched but it will be a good chance to get some quality time with your computer. wink.gif

Nate

When did Retrospect start supporting FTP? I'm using FTP with another backup program that I won't name here (lest I bring down the wrath of the mods...).

One other idea (using Internet Neighborhood Pro to map FTP locations as drive letters) was discussed in the following thread. I did recently have to deinstall this program from two of my PCs since it was causing XP SP1 to occasionally blue-screen.

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Server&Number=21699&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Internet%20Neighborhood&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=21698&Search=true#Post21699

Archived