Need Help w/ Retrospect 4.0 Mac

I recently inherited the task of administering backups on our server. (Please don't laugh at the following.) We're running Retrospect 4.0 on a PowerCenter Pro 180 (Mac clone) w/ OS 8.6, backing up files from two external hard drives to a Yamaha CD-RW. We have three scripts to run our backups - a daily workstations backup, a daily server backup, and a weekly server backup.

The daily server backup has stopped working, and typically gives an error -102 (resource not found). When this problem first came up, it was giving a "catalog out of sync" message. Following the directions of the manual and the Dantz knowledgebase, I attempted to rebuild the catalog, but this would not execute and gave the error 100 (device rejected command) message. I attempted this repeatedly, at one point after restarting with minimal extensions. No dice.

The CD-RW drive is known to be persnickety and it was recommended to me that I eject and reinsert the disk until a procedure started running properly, but that hasn't worked in these cases. Anyway, the other two backup scripts seem to be running with no problems.

The problems seem to have started after someone attempted a Restore from Backup (from the daily server storage set). Also, at about this time we started getting a message upon Retrospect launch that "the system clock appears to have changed". According to the Dantz knowledgebase, this is a symptom of the software having "expired", and I'm wondering whether this is just a red herring or part of our technical difficulties.

The obvious answer is to upgrade the software. However, we're supposed to be getting a new server (hooray!) and software sometime soon. It's unlikely The Boss will want to spend money on an upgrade we'll be using for only a few weeks. Meanwhile, we still need daily server backups. Can this software be saved?

Thanks!

It sounds like you have two issues:

1. Error 102, catalog problems etc

2. The clock error msg. (which is only cosmetic - doesn't affect the backup.

For #1, it sounds like you should start a brand new backupset going to new tapes....and see if your problem persists.

For #2, This msg won't affect the backup.

Thanks for the quick reply, Melissa. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I've just been trying to back up to a new set, but after four or five tries, I haven't been able to get past the first disk. Either it gets filled up to several hundred Mb and then gives an error 204 message, or it fills up to 1.3 Gb and then the program crashes. I tried running it with file sharing turned off. The SCSI setup seems okay. Voodoo?

Cheers!

It sure sounds like it's time to troubleshoot the error 102.

First let's narrow down to see if it really is a hardware related error or not.

You can do this by doing a File backupset that backs up data to a hard drive. For this test, back up more than 500mb to a hard drive that you have enough room on. See if you get any errors. If you do, then it's not a hardware related error. If you don't, then it is related to your CDRW drive.

At that point, if it's related to your CDRW drive this article should help you on steps to troubleshoot.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=75

Archived