Newbie convert from Veritas needs help with scripting strategy

I have Retro Multi Server v6.5.319 and an Ecrix VXA AutoPak 15 tape autoloader, slot 15 is the cleaning tape. The way we had it setup under BackupExec was a full backup on Friday (which ran from Fri PM to Sun AM) and incrementals on M, T, W, Th. We kept an eye on the tapes in the AutoPak and when we knew the tapes needed to be rotated, we took out the ones just used and put in older used ones to recycle. The Full backup tapes were kept offsite for at least one month, with the last Fri of the month pulled out and kept as a permanent off-site archival copy.

How would I set this up using scripts?

To keep it simple, would I only need to create one backup set and just add new media and recycle old media for use?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated (haven't had a good backup in about 1 1/2 weeks; the suits are breathing down my neck! doh.gif)

Thanks,

Joe

Quote:

Joe Traverso said:

To keep it simple, would I only need to create one backup set and just add new media and recycle old media for use?

You could do this, but it would make it hard to restore from older sets of backups if needed.

Don't use Recycle on Friday. Use the "new media" action. This will create a new backup set with a new name, allowing you to do the Friday Full and the normal the rest of the week.

Still unsure about this. I was successfully able to do a New Media Backup over the weekend. Now what do I do? Do I do a Normal backup to the same Backup Set? Do a Normal Backup to a new set? I'm unclear as to how to set it up so that Mon thru Thurs will be an incremental of the previous weekend's full.

Help!

confused.gif

When you do a "new" backup, it creates a new set with [001] at the end of the name. It then copies all files, because it is a new backup set. You can not do "incremental" to the set the first time you use it because it is a "new" set requiring the initial full copy of all the data.

After the new takes place, you can do a "normal" to the [001] set just copying changes since the last time you used the [001] backup set.

The user's guide provides some examples and our technical support can also help explain it in detail over the phone.

I have already done the "new" backup over the weekend. Now I want to do the "normal". But how can I keep it from appending to the "new" tapes (already used over the weekend) and choose new/erased media sitting in the autoloader? It seems that the default behavior is to append to the backup set's media (10 of the 14 tapes in the autoloader were used for the "new" backup over the weekend), but I want it to start with the four erased tapes.

OK, that seems to be working. But the backup is taking FOREVER for just an normal backup. Is there something else to look at to increase the speed? Does it have to compare to the snapshots? Or is there some other, faster way to do the normal (incremental) backups?

Archived