4.3 Won't Back a Big file

Hi,

I have Retrospect 4.3 on my Beige G3 Mac and it does the office backup each night at 6PM. On the same network I have a DP G4 that is our database server running Helix (HelixTech.com). I do not run a Retrospect Client on the G4 as it runs almost 24/7. What I do when I come in at 2AM is Quit Helix Server, then copy the file (about 25MB) to my G3 so it will be backed up....then open the database file on the G4 again.

BUT for some reason 4.3 will not backup this file! It seems to backup all other new or modified files...the not the one I'm most concernerd about.

I was also backing this file up using 5 scripts with a special selector to save it to a Retrospect file on my hard drive (each Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs & Fri). But I stopped that...my backup to CDR still won't back up this one file.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks,

Jeff confused.gif

Hi

Very often database files are designed so thier modify date/time and data size do not change. As a result it gets "matched out" of your backup. The best way to fix this is to set up a separate backup script for the folder that contains the database file. For this particular script turn off matching so that the contents of the folder are always backed up.

Nate

Hi Nate,

If I use Get Info in the Finder I can see the last modified date changes daily. In the setup for this network backup I also explicitly told it to "Include" any files with this name. Still won't do it.

I'll try your suggestion of using a separate script (but still saving it to the CDR "destination", instead of a file on my HD as I was).

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Archived