restore

mleiser

If I have a full backup from, let's say, April, and then incremental backups from then on, how would I do the folowing.

I have a directory called daycamp. Someone inadvertenly on purpose deleted most of the files and they cannot be found. However, we don't know the names of all the files that were deleted, except they're all from daycamp. Without going back to teh full backup and every incremental since then, is there an easy way to restore all files that were deleted from that directly regardless of the last day they were updated or created?

Thanks.

Mike

Hi

You just want the directory to look like it did just before the files were deleted right?

All you need to do is do a restore using the snapshot that was created just before the files were deleted. Retrospect will restore the folder to exactly what it looked like on the day of the snapshot. It will not restore any unneeded files from your incrementals

nate

Hate to sound ignorant, but the last backup (incremental) that was done before the files were deleted should have only copied the changed or new files, right? Or is this "snapshot" something more? To take it a step further, if I'm beginning to see the light, if I have file called abc.txt and have no clue the last time it was touched but I deleted it, can this snapshot bring it back without my figuring out which incremental backup has it? Till now, to get a file back I searched backwards through the incrementals to find the last time it was backed up. Am I doing this all wrong? Thanks for the response.

Mike

Hi

The snapshot is just that, an "photo" image of the way the directory looked when you backed it up. It doesn't matter when the files themselves were actually backed up. Retrospect automatically pulls the files it needs from the backup set and rebuilds the directory to match the snapshot.

Because Retropsect uses snapshots EVERY backup behaves like a complete/full backup of the volume. You are in fact doing incremental backups but you can treat each of your snapshots as s full backup.

In short - just pick the snapshot, hit restore and Retrospect will put things back exactly the way they were when you backed up.

Nate

Hi

So you want to restore one sub folder of your volume right?

Do a retrieve files and folders restore and mark only the folder you want in the files chosen browser window. This will restore all of the files into a folder named "whatever your backup set is named". Then just manually move the folder to its permanent place on the disk and you are all set.

Nate

This is getting more exciting as I go on. Okay, I went into file select and there are two snapshots, 8/12/03 - that's when I made my full backup of my new backup set, and yesterday's, my most recent incremental. I chose 8/12, picked my folder and everything worked. Thanks. Next question. Let's say I wanted a file as of 9/1/03. I have no idea when it was last backup up. What do I do? I can't go to 8/12 - too early, I can't go to yesterday, too late.

Mike

Hi

Assuming you have been backing up regularly...

When you start your restore you have the option to select snapshots. At the bottom of that window is an option to add other snapshots to your catalog. You will then be able to chose the date you want.

As a side note- old snapshots are moved to your backup media so the restore window does not get cluttered. you can always add them back if you like.

Keep in mind that snapshots are only created when a backup is run. Simply put, If you don't backup - you can't restore. In your case that means if you don' have a snapshot for 9/1 you will just have to choose the next most recent date and restore from there.

Nate

Okay, I checked it out and understand the snapshot issue. Yes, I do back up automatically every night. I thank you tons for your help. This is some super program.

Just to take advantage and throw you another curve - I would love to take a backup home every so often to keep at home - off site.I wnat everything to continue as is - backups every night automatically. Should I just copy DVD to DVD so I have an emergency copy of the backup? Is there a simpler way?

Mike

Hi

Glad to hear Retrospect is working for you!

Most people make 2 backup sets and rotate them - one week on site one week off site. That is probably the best way.

Retrospect also has a backupset transfer option on the tools menu that will copy one backup set to another.

Nate

Archived