Retrospect Hangup after Installation

rsims

I installed the free trial version of Retrospect Express a few weeks ago and was happy with the program. It worked just fine. So I went to the store and bought the full version. I uninstalled the trial version and installed the full version. Now, when I try to start Retrospect, it comes up with the splash screen, showing version 5.6.132, then main window with "Starting..." in the lower status bar. The splash screen stays there, and the computer hangs, until a Ctrl-Alt-Del / End Task is performed. I have never been able to successfully run the full version of the program, after many uninstall-reinstall cycles, so I have never gotten to the point where I enter the license code.

Is there something in the installation process that could cause this? How can I get past this problem?

I'm pretty sure no normal user in the forum can help me, so I would appreciate direct email support from someone at Dantz. Like most people, I'm at work during the normal technical support phone hours.

I am running Windows 98.

Thank you,

-Richard Sims

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so after a bit of futzing, I found that I can get Retrospect to start -- but only if I kill rundll32 first. Here's what happens:

1. Boot system

2. Run Retrospect 5.6 (see splash screen, computer hangs)

3. Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill Retrospect Express (wait for Not Responding dialog, then End Task)

4. Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill rundll32

5. Run Retrospect 5.6 (runs fine)

Also works fine when steps 2 and 3 are skipped.

I checked rundll32, and it had the same timestamp as on my Win98 CD. Just to be sure, I copied the original over mine -- same problem. So what does this tell us? How is launching Retrospect affected by having rundll32 running in the background?

-Rich

Archived