Error -535 with XP host and XP Client

lhaylett

I'm running V6.5 Pro on a Windows XP Pro machine, it works fine.

I loaded the client software on another XP Pro maching and it can't add the client.

I get "Searching for backup clents..." and it never finds anything.

I tried "Test" and I get "error -535 (backup client: network unavailable)"

I can ping the client machine fine and seem to have no other network issues on the host machine.

I've searched the forum and knowledgebase and couldn't find anything that would help.

Any ideas?!

Lyle

Nate,

Thanks for the reply.

I've got the two machines going through a DSL router. I've got no other network issues -- everything else has always worked fine on the network. I am even able to ping the client, and share files through windows.

As far as I can tell, the router should be set up to allow this traffic as well. It's a Linksys set up as a DHCP server. I've got the default settings (since just updating the firmware) of;

Block WAN Request: Enabled

Multicast Pass Through: Enabled

IPSec Pass Through: Enabled

PPTP Pass Through: Enabled

MTU: Disabled

I have Norton's firewall turned on, but have tried it with Norton disabled and it doesn't help.

I have also run the little Dantz program to modify the XP firewall on the client machine, but that didn't help either. (Even though the XP firewall is disabled on both machines anyway.)

I haven't tried reinstalling the drivers for the network cards since all other network functions seem to be working, but might give that a try anyway.

Any other thoughts.

Lyle

Hi Nate,

I tried reinstalling the network card driver -- even tried an older version and then the current version, and it still gives the same results. (This was on the "host machine" since it doesn't even seem to be able to see the network from there.)

Any other thoughts?

BTW, and FWIW, it occurs to me that I can never seem get "MS-Streets & Trips 2002" to be able to update construction information automatically over the internet either. It gives some error like; "your computer isn't configured to get on the network." Norton AV, and everything else works via the network though.

Thanks,

Lyle

Hi

The streets and trips thing makes sense given the error you are seeing in Retrospect. I suspect the network card driver or TCP/IP is only partially functional on this machine. Is physically removing or disabling the card a possibility? If so I would uninstall the driver in device manager and then shut down the machine. Then remove/ disable the card and reboot again twice for good measure. Then I would shut down the machine and reinstall/ activate the Network card again. Better yet - it you have another network card lying around you may want to try that.

Let us know if this is possible.

Thanks

Nate

Nate,

You solved my problem, thanks!

I bought a new network card to see if that would help, and that did it!

I'm actually a bit suprised since I figured the card either worked or it didn't. I suppose it could also be something funny with the driver. I tried different versions of the driver and that didn't help, but it's sometimes hard to get XP to use the right drivers. So, I bought a different brand of card, figuring that if it was the drivers, that would force Windows to use a different one. Whether different drivers or a new card did it, that worked. Streets & Trips is able to get on the net to get updates now too!

Thanks again,

Lyle

Archived