Question using Hard disk for backup

Hi,

Just a question regarding the use of a Hard disk for target backup location. I noticed that when doing this option that the backup creates 600 MB files that contain the data. I can see the advantage of this over "file" backup but what should happen if one of those 600 MB files should become corrupted for some reason? I tried doing a test by just moving a file and then doing a verify. Well at the point that it reached the missing file it reported it as such but my only options were to say that it was lost or to locate it. Saying that it was lost would be ok but it seemed to just stop and not continue. I guess I expected it to handle the lost file as a missing tape and continue verification. I did notice that the backup set had added a 1 to the front as if it would change to a different "tape" at some point and create a different member.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Quote:

natew said:

Hi

Try your test again doing a catalog rebuild rather than a verify. You are right that the verify should continue once a file has been marked as missing. Rebuilding the catalog might work around the problem.

Nate

Hi Nate,

So does 'Recreate' supercede a 'Verify' ? In other words; "Recreate" = Verify + Rebuild

Hi

I guess I am not sure what you are asking. My thought is the verify function is not properly marking members as missing. If you mark a member missing in another way (catalog rebuild or in the backup set properties) the verify should proceed normally.

Nate

LOG:

Trouble positioning: "4-Desktops A" (403573), error -206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.)

Additional error information for device "Sony AIT DC" [2:0],

Sense > f0 00 03 ff ff ff fb 14 00 00 00 00 15 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

(SONY |SDX-300C |01b6)

15 files were not verified

8/26/2003 6:28:02 PM: 20 execution errors

Remaining: 14 files, zero KB

Completed: 2425484 files, 293.2 GB

Performance: 472.7 MB/minute

Duration: 11:02:03 (00:27:06 idle/loading/preparing)

END:

The Verify did not mark the tape as missing in 6.5.319(trial). So I'm just left not knowing how this new version will handle restores from this set.

Archived