Loosing Wireless LAN Connection During Backup

ballen

I just installed Retrospect 6.5 most recent release. I have a problem with one laptop -- it drops the wireless LAN connection during backup. This is normally a very stable connection, but 100% of the time when the backup exceeds 15 to 20 minutes, it will drop the WLAN connection. The problem machine is Compaq Presario, Win 2000 Pro with a D-Link WLAN card.

I have a second laptop (Toshiba) using the same access point and Win XP that works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest!

I will assume you are not familiar with any D-Link details and try to fully explain what I see.

The card (PCMCIA) has a green LED on the antenna. It is solid green when talking to the access point, slow flashing green when the link quality is marginal, and fast flashing green when the link is dropped. I have the machine sitting right under the access point with an excellent link. When it drops the link, I get the fast flashing LED on the card. To restore the link, I open the D-Link configuration utility on the notebook, select the "Configuration" tab, select the "Change configuration" checkbox (which turns on permissions to set the access point ID, network mode (infrastructure, etc), Encapsulation, Channel, and Tx rate). Then, I click on the "Encapsulation" drop-down menu and select *anything other than what is currently selected* (choices being None, RFC1042, or 802.1h). As soon as I click "Update", the connection re-establishes.

I don't know if it is relevant, but I have all the WLAN security (Encryption key etc.) disabled.

I have not been able to establish any correlation to a particular file being accessed. For example, in the past 5 days, it failed at 1:10, succeeded in 0:42, failed at 0:15, failed at 0:36, failed at 0:29. (Those are hh:mm, by the way.) Also, I have excluded the Windows directory and all files in the "account" path that have reported a sharing violation.

Grrr. Hope you can help me track this down.

Barry

Hi

I have seen this happen on my wireless card too but not specifically with Retrospect. As a test can you try backing up the volume in question via file sharing rather than with Retrospect client?

When you use file sharing Retrospect does a standard network file copy like a user would in windows. If the connection gets dropped in that case we can probably assume this is a problem with the Wireless card drivers.

I'm sure the WLAN works fine for other applications - however Retrospect pushes a lot more data across the connection than anything else. if there is a weakness in the driver somewhere it is most likely to show up during a backup.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived