Backup Challenges

I created an Easyscript to backup to two sets of data (Jack & Jill) once per week. I set the scipt to normal thinking subsequent backups would be incremental. Once the initial backups were complete (about 11 gig worth of data, including applications - both data sets), the next few weeks of backups were averaging around 4-7 gig. I thought this was a bit unusal for supposedly an incremental backup. As such, I then edited the original Easyscript file. I edited the script by using the selector "Exclude Cool Items" to limit the backups to primarily changes made to my e-mail client/PIM and document folder during the week. My anticipation would be for a few hundred Mb's at the most during an incremental backup not mulitple gigs.

On my latest backup, the script called for a new media version of one of my backup sets (My sets are Jack and Jill. The script is now asking for Jack -001) and after the script checked my disk, it called for a 3 gig backup (over 23,000 files). My question is why is this happening when the list of my "cool items" covers the majority of files on my hard drive (except for those I want backed-up)?

I used an earlier version of Retrospect Express in the past and never experienced this kind of problem with subsequent backups. They were alwasy incremental relative to the changes I had made to my files since the previous backup session.

Any assistance you can provide regarding what I may be doing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Retrospect Express V-4.3 on an iMac running both OS 10.1 and 9.2 (I run the backup under 9.2).

Thank you.

It sounds like you've scheduled a New Media backup in your script. This type of backup (instead of a Normal incremental backup or a Recycle backup) creates a NEW catalog file, appending three numbers to the end of the name (beginning with 001 and increasing with each set) and asks for a new tape. It basically creates a second whole set, in the event you'd want to take one backup set off site, or introduce a brand new set of tapes.

If you'd prefer not to have a New Media backup in your script, edit the schedule from Automate: Scripts. Click the schedule button in your script summary window and any change any schedule that is currently a New Media backup to be another type of backup.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Dear Ms. Solomon:

>

> Thank you so much for your prompt and very helpful reply to my query

> concerning the backup problems I had run into. You were correct. Upon

> checking my operations log, a New Media backup was initiated that replaced

> my original backup set Jack, with Jack001. Evidently, I must have

> incorporated a periodic New Media swap in the script when I first set it up

> without thinking of the possibility that I would be required to backup my

> entire system. Live and learn.

>

> Once again, I very much appreciated your spot on assistance.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Steve Gray

Archived