Maxtor 5000LE not recognized after WindowsXP windows update performed

Hello,

We have been running a Maxtor 5000LE ext. hard drive for the past couple of months with no problems on a Windows XP system. (Utilizing Retrospect's autobackup scripts, the whole-enchilada).

Before I go further, I should say the following:

1) I have performed a handful of drive power cycles, to no avail.

2) I have upgraded the driver to the newest found on Maxtor's website.

3) I have switched USB ports to rule out port failure.

All of the above has not worked.

Last week I performed a "Windows Update" and installed about 6 updates, all seemingly unrelated to the USB interface (security updates, etc). After a successful installation of the updates and a reboot, I lost visibility of the Maxtor drive in the Explorer.

In the device manager, the drive is there and is said to be "functioning properly." In the system-tray there is an option to "Safely Remove hardware" and the drive is listed, meaning that the system has not completely "lost" the device. It is just not available in the Exporer and "My Computer" or under any Open... dialogs in any application, so for all intents and purposes it has completely disappeared.

Has anyone enountered this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

/Cody Caughlan

I use the 5000 LE in Win 2000 with no problems.

I would suggest uninstalling the Maxtor drivers.

You do not need them unless you wish to use the One Touch button, which in my opinion is not so useful. I doubt that XP is different in this area,

My sister is having an alogous problem with a CD-RW drive in Win 98.

As we speak, she is, last I heard, on hold for MSFT paid tech support.

If she gets a solution and I think that it might apply here, I'll post the suggested solution.

But do unload the Maxtor drivers, they are not needed to use the drive.

Archived