Retrospect 5.1 and Old World Macs

I have a PowerMac 7600 converted to a G4 with a Sonnet Crescendo PCI card running OS 9.1 and Retrospect Express 5.0.236.

Read this morning on MacFixit that Dantz has acknowledged that the new 5.1 rescue disk "won't boot Old World Macs that rely on ADB rather than USB for mice and keyboards..."

I am confused. Finally figured out that Express has been replaced by Desktop and am ready to spring for the $60 upgrade to 5.1, but I need to know if I will be able to boot into OS 9.1 from the 5.1 rescue disk. MacFixit suggests that the answer is "no" since my mouse and keyboard are not USB. Currently I can boot up from a ZIP rescue disk, but a Retrospect CD sure would be handy in a real emergency. Please, please advise!

HELP!

Thurletta

• 1 month later...

Then, what is your advice? I have a Retrospect Express 4.0 CD...everything else that brought me to 5.0.236 was a purchased or free download.

I had wanted to upgrade to 5.1 Desktop because I saw it as a means of finally having a CD containing Retrospect Desktop (now that Express has been "absorbed") from which I could boot up in case my ZIP drive ever died. (I currently can boot up from an emergency ZIP disk in the event I need to repair a disaster with TechTool Pro.)

Since my HD is only 1.2 Gig, I've been advised not to upgrade to OSX and I have too much invested in Mac DTP/accounting/etc. software that is likely to be useless if I do. That is why I'm still using OS 9.1.

Retrospect Express 5.0.236 is working fine with the Sonnet G4 card in my PowerMac 7600. Is there a lot of functionality to be gained by purchasing 5.1 Desktop or should I just leave well enough alone?

Sorry it took so long for this reply, but I've been "doing a Scarlett O'Hara" on this issue ever since reading your reply.

Amy,

Thanks again for your reply. I could not find that addendum at the site. Does it also tell you how to make an OS 9 bootable ZIP disk? That I could do (and did with 5.0) but I have to find someone to make the bootable CD for me since I don't have a CD burner. Is there any way for me to get access to that "how to make an OS 9 bootable CD" portion of the 5.1 Addendum.pdf in advance so I'll be able to show someone what I need? Can't find it at the Dantz site.

Thanks,

Thurletta

Quote:

AmyJ said:

The 5.1 Addendum.pdf (in the application folder) includes instructions on how to build/create an OS 9 bootable CD.

It was not possible to create a multi-OS bootable CD, which is why it will boot only OS X.

Thanks again. I had found a link over the weekend with a Google search and downloaded the 5.1 addendum pdf as well as the 5.x manual (Did not see a 5.1 manual). I could not find anything about making a boot-up ZIP disk. That is what I'm using with my current version and I would like to be able to do the same when I purchase the 5.1 update until I can get my hands on a CD burner. I don't remember how I made the ZIP boot-up disk. Will I be able to do it with 5.1? Would I use the instructions on pp. 11-12 of the addendum for "Creating a Mac OS 9 Bootable CD" but substitute the word "CD" for "ZIP disk"?

Thanks for your patience, Amy.

Thurletta Brown-Gavins

Quote:

AmyJ said:

The addendum can be downloaded from:

Archived