Compressing Network Connection?

I see the option to compress the backups, but is there an option somewhere to compress the connection between the Server and Client?

I am trying out 6.5 for backing up my Linux server, and typically get compression ratios of 80% or more, but it looks like this is only for the storage on the backup drive. As I pay per GB of bandwidth, I would greatly like to have this 80% savings on my bandwidth, as bandwidth is more expensive than hard disk space nowadays.

Is there a way to do this, or have I missed something?

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi,

Unfortunately you can't do that with Retrospect but it is a great idea!

The best hack I can think of would be setting up a daily tar operation that compresses your new and changed files into a new tar.gz in a "backup" folder on the linux server daily. Then you tell Retrospect to backup only the contents of that folder. Retrospect will only grab the newest tarball any time the backup is run.

A hack for sure but it might be worth a shot.

Nate

Link compression is quite usefull idea. Since it is not supported by Retrospect you can try establishing compressed VPN connection (not necessarly IPSEC) between client and the server (or server's LAN). Advantage over tar or similar solution is that you don't loose any of the Retrospect features and still save bandwidth.

Mikee

Archived