Retro to provide API calls to 3rd party CDR/DVDR software

awnews

I had suggested a while ago that Dantz consider working with a CDR/DVR vendor (e.g. Ahead Nero, Roxio EzCD, etc.) who seemed to do a better job of keeping up with the rapidly expanding variety of CD-RW and DVD-RW drives. I happened to come across this on the Nero website in regards to their new Nero Ultra software. By doing something like this, Dantz could natively support whatever drives they feel they should, but could provide the API calls to allow customers to buy Nero and plug it in to use for the actual CDR/RW, DVDR/RW burning with the many "unsupported" drives.

Nero SDK/API (Software Development Kit)

Record CDs and DVDs directly from your own application with Nero's Embedded API!

If you're a programmer or a software developer, you can now use Nero's Embedded API (Application Programming Interface) to add our powerful CD/DVD-writing functions to your own applications. For example, you can record graphics files right from your graphics application.

... or the PC blue-screens, as it does with my Dell XP SP1 PC (which is spinning like a top in all other areas) when I try to run the Auto-Configurator on my "unsupported" NEC NR-9300A. This is with RP6.5.319 and RDU 4.3.102, RP set up to use NT-passthru. I also have Nero 5.5.10.42 (works fine) on the PC for burning CDRs.

• 11 months later...

Tonight I thought I'd take another shot at running a small data backup to CDR. My Dell 4550 (1G RAM, XP SP1) isn't set up for this (NEC CD-RW NR-9300A is not a Dantz-support CDR device) so I was going to run a custom config. After Retro 6.5 RDU 5.1 (set up with NT Passthru rather than ATAPI) did a device scan it told me that it needed to run the custom config process. After I clicked on OK, it promptly blue-screened my PC. The System Error message was recorded below:

+ Retrospect version 6.5.350

Launched at 7/12/2004 11:15 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 5.1.101

Event Type: Error

Event Source: System Error

Event Category: (102)

Event ID: 1003

Date: 7/12/2004

Time: 11:10:36 PM

User: N/A

Computer: PC1

Description:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00440800, parameter3 f0bc9864, parameter4 00000000.

-- from the MS website:

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 1003

Source: System Error

Version: 5.2

Symbolic Name: ER_KRNLCRASH_LOG

Message: Error code %1, parameter1 %2, parameter2 %3, parameter3 %4, parameter4 %5.

Archived