Windows 2000 server with Retrospect client freezes during backup

Retrospect Backup station is a Mac OS X server 10.1.4 (Retrospect 5.0.238)

The client is version 6.0 on a Windows 2000 server 5.0.2195 SP1

The W2K server freezes sometimes (but not every time) during a backup session.

Sometimes the backup session is completed succesfully - sometimes it completes one (or part of a) volume and then freezes - sometimes it freezes after scanning files and folders.

The only way to make the W2K server work again after a freeze is the powerbutton.

The Mac OS X server continues backing up other clients succesfully - and works perfectly well.

The W2K server acts as a fileserver, FileMaker Pro server, Navision Financials server and various other serverapplications - usually it works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same behavior on a Win2k server as well. Mine is a generic server using an Intel STL2 Mobo and IDE drives. The server is a web server running IIS and Coldfusion 5. Almost every time a backup is run it freezes the server. If I choose not to create a snapshot it will sometimes run properly.

I have tried stopping the IIS & Coldfusion services but the outcome was the same. Because it is a freeze, there are no error logs to look at, and I can't think of what else is the problem.

Additionally I have 2 other servers with the same exact hardware and setup, and I know I have had this problem on at least one of them. There are also some Dell 2400/2450 servers using SCSI drives that back up with no problems. All the Dells are Win2k, some as fileservers, some as IIS5/ColdFusion. All of these machines are backing up properly, with no freezes with any of the settings enabled.

I hope it is not a problem with the Intel STL2 Mobo's because we can't replace them right now. The one thing I will try is to use a SCSI drive on one of the machines and see if anything is different.

Before anyone asks, I have tried the latest BIOS update and am using the latest drivers for the Mobo. The Win2k server is full patched and updated.

Anybody got any suggestions? We might want to start comparing hardware details to see if there are any common factors.

Thanks,

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

If you have a spare network card around try installing it in the client and setting it up with a static IP address. Then use the bind listener setting in the Registry to bind the client to that address.

Retrospect will uncover lots of hidden network problems. I have seen an uninstall/ Reinstall of a network card fix this kind of thing in the past.

Nate

Archived