restoring "deleted" folder needs the folder manually created first

Hi everybody!

I am having a problem with folder restoration. In restoring a deleted folder to a volume, it requires that the folder should be created manually first before files could be restored to it. Otherwise, the restored files could be redirected to another location or existing folder. The question is are there any other methods to restore a whole folder without the need to create the folder name when the original was deleted?

Thank you very much in advance.

-Bel

Hi

The "selected files" restore option for Retrospect will automatically create a new folder that has the same name as your backup set. The files and folders that you have chosen to restore are restored within that folder. This protects you from accidentially overwriting files when you do a restore.

Normally you would run the restore and then just drag the folder back to where you want it to be.

Hope that helps

Nate

Thanks Nate!

I know that one could restore files and folders to have the same name as the Backup Set. But what I wanted to do since the previous (original) folders were deleted is to restore them back from the backup set, meaning restoring the original folder name and all. The problem is that Retrospect (6.5) does not restore a "deleted" folder from the backup set just as it is. Retrospect requires the folder name to be created manually first if you don't want to have it redirected somewhere else.

I wonder if there is an automated version of restoring folders to the location where they used to be (when the originals are deleted) without having to create the folders manually nor redirecting the restore? It is cumbersome to create the folders manually one by one when you want several deleted folders to be restored.

Retrospect will create the deleted folders on restore - either to a new location or to the original location. This is determined by the settings you choose in the restore 'Destination Selection' window. After choosing your restore to location, use the drop down menu for additional options. You'll see a summary after any selection. For example, if you choose Retrieve files and folders, you'll see a summary similar to:

"Restoring files and folders to a new folder on xxxx"

Look at all the different options to see which one best suits your needs.

Archived