Restoring XP Pro Client

I'm running the demo of the single server 6.5 and as a test, I'm trying to run a back up and restore of an XP Pro client PC whose HD just happened to go south last week.

My questions are:

1. When running the backup, do I need to be logged in as the administrator, or as a user with administrator rights in order to be assured of a complete and total back up of the HD?

2. Do I need to be logged in as administrator or any user with administrator rights when trying to do a restore, either from the full back up or from the disaster recovery cd?

3. If the existing HD was running XP but was FAT 32, will I be able to restore to a new, blank HD using NTFS? Will I be able to do this using the Disaster Recovery CD or only from the full backup?

4. Will I have any problems restoring a FAT32 backup to an NTFS volume?

Thanks.

M

Hi,

On the client side, just make sure you install the client app while logged in with Admin rights on the machine. After that permissions are not a problem no matter who is logged in during the backup or restore.

On the backup machine side, you have to install Retrospect with admin priveleges and it is probably easiest to do your backups/restores that way too.

I don't recommend changing filesystems between a backup and a restore- chances are it just won't work. Your best bet is to set up the system with Fat32 initially, do the restore and then use the windows fat32 conversion utility.

Thanks

Nate

Archived