Issue with an External USB Backup

sutton

I am currently using a Maxtor External 80GB USB 2.0 hard drive, that came with Dantz Software, version 5.6.132. This is a Windows 2000 and XP environment.

It works perfectly backing up it’s own internal drive, but I am unable to get this software to back up networked computers to this external USB drive.

I can view machines via the network using the software, as well as browse from each of the PCs to this shared drive.

Within the Dantz software, this external drive is not available as a backup source.

Is this software capable of backing up to the shared external USB drive via the network?

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

In order for Retrospect to find a drive on the network it must be fully accessable with read/write permissions in the Windows My Network browser. In other words, make sure you can create files across the network on all the drives in question - then try it with Retrospect.

Can you clarify this a bit?-I'm having a hard time understanding which way the data is moving.Do you have Retrospect Express on one machine or multiple machines?

Thanks

Nate

We have Retrospect Express loaded on one machine, along with the Maxtor External USB drive. We want to back up data on other PC to this drive.

We can see the other computers from the computer that has Retro installed.

However, it seems, that Retro cannot see/recognize these other computers.

Please advise.

Thanks, Bob

In order to backup network volumes, you must add them as sources. While in a Volume Selection window, click the Network button to drill through Microsoft Windows Networking to find the appropriate folders. Once you've selected the volume you wish to backup, click the Define button. The folders will now be available as sources.

You may also need to configure these volumes for automatic login. See the following tutorial for details:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27761

Thank you for this information.

I have mapped and set permissions accordingly. Dantz can see the network volumes.

However, the external USB drive is not recognized as a backup destination for the network volumes.

Sorry, if iI was not clear before.

Can you offer any more assistance based on this improved information?

Bob

Quote:

However, the external USB drive is not recognized as a backup destination for the network volumes.

Sorry, if iI was not clear before.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Once you create a File backup set (Configure > Backup Sets) it is available to store any information. The location of the source data is irrelevant to this process. The following tutorial will walk you through creating a File backup set.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27447

Archived