Snapshot hangs on IIS Metabase

eded

My backup stops at IIS Metabase during the snapshot phase. I allowed the backup to run overnight in case some process was taking a long time, but I was still hung up in the morning. Rebooting did not help. I have tried multiple times, but the backup always freezes in the same place. Task manager shows Retrospect running. The last backup I did worked fine, but now I am having this problem.

Unfortunately, I can remember at least two differences between the last successful backup and this current failure. First, I applied SP2 to Windows 2000 Professional. Second, I changed the Norton Internet security from 2002 to 2003 Professional

I am using Retrospect 5.6.132, Windows 2000 Professional SP2, and I am backing up to an external hard drive connected through a USB port.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I believe the IIS metabase is a component of windows 2000 server and should not be needed in your backup of a local windows 2000 Pro system. In the options of your script you should be able to specify which portions of the registy to back up. Try omitting the IIS metabase and see if the backup continues.

You can change this setting in the options of any operation/script by opening the Windows->system->system->state. You will see that all of the boxes are checked even though many do not apply to Windows 2000 pro.

Nate

Thanks for the reply.

I can't find anything called IIS Metabase. I can find a Metabase.bin file on my hard drive.

I don't understand your instruction about omitting IIS Metabase. I mean I tried to follow your instructions, but I don't have a Windows -> System -> System folder. Am I looking for the right thing?

Hi

My mistake - Retrospect express does not allow you to exclude individual registry components. Sorry about that.

you can make sure that all virus protection is turned off during the backup. I would take it a step further and make sure all programs are closed except for the OS. Other than that an uninstall/reboot/reinstall of Retrospect is about all you can do from a Retrospect standpoint.

Nate

Archived