Retrospect 4.0 to 5.0.238 Desktop upgrade Problems

I hope someone out there can give me some fresh ideas because I am all out.

We have had retrospect 4.0 running on a G4-3 w/ OS 9.1 running smoothly to a LaCie Sony SDT-10000 SCSI DAT drive with DDS4 tapes for the past couple of years in a mixed Windows and Mac OS 9.1 office. No problems until I upgraded to Desktop 5.0 w/ 5pack client option. We have a small office. I had to upgrade Retrospect because we switched from WinNT4.0 to XP on the Windows side and Retro 4.0 does not support the client software for XP.

My problem. I upgraded to Desktop 5.0.238 with the 5 client pack. I did the update install, brought in the old scripts and sets from 4.0, and installed the RCU 3.6.106. I installed the windows client software on the new XP machine and used the updater program to update the rest of the clients, very cool, from the back up machine.

The problem is that retrospect hangs up while performing the script. It scans the catalog, locates the client, begins copying the files and then hangs a few files into the backup. I have tried two different client machines, the new XP machine, and another Mac 9.1 which is existing equipment, and the backup machine as first machines to backup in the script. No success on any machine.

It somtimes hangs on the same file, and then sometimes goes past that file and continues but always stops. When I change the order to backup the backup machine first, I would get an "authenticate user" message. That is what made me begin to change the order of the machines in the script, I thought it may have had a problem with itself, but this seems to be a bigger roblem.

The lights on the tape drive blink and the little retrospect counter box keeps going. I have to force quit Retrospect, turn the machine off, turn off the tape drive, and turn it back on to get the tape out.

From advice on this board and the user's manual, I have restarted with base extensions plus Retro.Startup plus FireSCSI Enabler, Expert, and Support on to see the tape drive. It is the only SCSI item on the machine. I have also created a new Back Up set script and destination and tried a new tape. But nothing helps. From all appearences, Retrospect looks good, it sees the tape, sees the clients, tells me the script is ready when I quit. I even uninstalled the 5.0 upgrade and reinstalled it with the same amount of sucess.

I have been trying to trouble shoot this now for about 7.5 hours over the past two days and we have not had a back up for the past 4 days. Can anyone help with this. This is a serious problem. I hope this is a simple solution, and that I am missing something.

Thank you,

Bryan

Retrospect 4.3 and subsequent versions (currently 5.1) optimized drive support in such a way that allowed for much faster backups. As a result of the greater stress on the hardware, existing SCSI problems were brought to light for some customers.

One option is to try turning of Fast and Wide SCSI (which allows for faster negotiation) as follows:

Go to the Special tab, hold down Option and click Preferences

Under HW Compatibility, check mark the box to "Disable Fast and Wide SCSI"

You can also test whether or not the problem is with the tape drive by creating a "File" backup set, rather then a "Tape" backup set. Backup a select set of data from a client machine. If the backup is successful, hardware troubleshooting is in order.

SCSI Troubleshooting:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26499

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem. I recently updated from Desktop 4.3 to 5.0.238. When I checked the log after a couple of weeks (I know - too long) I discovered that there were no backups. I tried manually backing up from 5. It scans, updates folders... and then crashes hard. (-1 error). I can open up 4.3 and everything will manually run fine.

Is there something I should know about the install process or some sort of conflict? Help - this was working so well for so long.

Hi

It may be that your preference files are corrupt. As a test move your Retrospect preferences to the trash and try creating them from scratch. When it asks you if you want to import your old configuration say "no". Then set up a test script and see how that goes.

Nate

Archived