Corrupt driver in disaster recovery CD

jt1326

I created a DR CD of a server this morning, and when I went to run the CD, it go to the part where it was loading the temp Windows 2000 Server OS and gave an error about a corrupt driver and then it quit. Is there a way to fix/replace the driver on the CD? It tells the name of the file.

Thanks

Are you using any type of hard disk RAID controllers? Retrospect DR CD's have the hardest time with RAID configurations.

Worst case, install a temp copy of Windows 2000 on the hard disk and then do a "restore entire disk" on top of the "temp" system and restart.

>>Are you using any type of hard disk RAID controllers? Retrospect DR CD's have the hardest time with RAID configurations.

Yes, it's a Dell PowerEdge 2500 running PERC 3/Di RAID. It's funny that you ask that because the file being reported as corrupt is a PERC exe. It appears to be a Windows executable that doesn't load on startup, but it's hard to tell for sure.

I replace the file on the server being backed up with the latest version from Dell. I'm going to back it up again tonite and try the DR CD again tomorrow.

When booting from the Windows 2000 Disaster Recovery CD, you will get a chance to add custom device drivers by pressing F6.

Try installing the RAID drivers in this manner. I believe the ability to hit F6 is one of the first things that comes up when booting from the CD.

Amy,

I actually tried that yesterday and manually added the RAID driver but still got the error, I'm guessing because it was still trying to load it off the CD and found the corrupt file. I'm in the process of building the DR CD right now and will let you know if anything changed.

Joe

At this time, it may not be possible for you to use the DR CD functionality in your RAID environment. We have been investigating conflicts with various RAID controllers that affect Disaster Recovery.

Your option is to do a live restore which entails installing a base OS, and then Retrospect before executing the restore.

For testing, you may want to ensure that your can boot off your standard Windows 2000 CD and install an OS with the RAID attached. The problem may not be isolated to the Retrospect DR CD.

• 5 months later...

Quote:

AmyJ said:

At this time, it may not be possible for you to use the DR CD functionality in your RAID environment. We have been investigating conflicts with various RAID controllers that affect Disaster Recovery.

Amy:

Has any progress been made in the investigation of using a DR CD with raid controllers?

I have a Promise FastTrak 378 RAID controller. When booting from the DR CD my system hangs when trying to load the driver for the FastTrack 378.

Archived