Tape Catalog unsuable?

We have set up a Dell 2650 Retrospect 6.5 server, an Cybernetics IDE disk array (330GB), and a Cybernetics AIT3 tape drive at three sites for disaster recovery purposes. The three sites are networked together.

Our primary site conducts daily backups to the IDE disk arrays creating large, compressed files, which I'll call "blobs". There are blobs for each user and each server. I have these blobs reside in separate folders: "Mac Users," "Windows Users," and "Servers." I then back these blobs up to tape Monday - Friday.

I send the Monday tape to one remote location and the Wednesday tape to another remote location. The tape operators load the tape and a scheduled restore process then takes place. I first copy the Monday tape catalog using Retrospect's "Duplicate" function, from the primary site then I restore each folder: "Mac Users," "Windows Users," and "Servers" from the tape backup.

My problem is that the restore script will only recognize the first item in the snapshot list and not the others, resulting in a script failure.

A call to Dantz technical support stated that the catalog was probably damaged and needed to be rebuilt from the tape. Since rebuilding a tape catalog from tape is a 3+ hour process, I would think that transferring the catalog from one computer to another would be much faster. I could transfer the data (95K) onto diskette!

Any one else have a similar problem? cryrub.gif

Quote:

akatsuyama said:
My problem is that the restore script will only recognize the first item in the snapshot list and not the others, resulting in a script failure.

Can you provide a little more detail on this issue. Maybe it can be addressed.

Archived