Error 102 during backup but Member verifies fine???

I'm using Retro 6 Mulitserver on NT4 SP6a with an Seagate Travan NS20 STT20000N (SCSI)

On my member 6-.... from a tape backup set I backed up a successfull first run with about 2 GB data.

The next day, Retro locates and locates and locates and locates some hours until it ends up with Error 102. (nothing concerning SCSI was changed!) and requests an empty tape for member 7-, showing an empty drive. The tape 6- was still in the drive.

I stopped the script, removed the tape, reinserted and tried again - same behaviour.

But strange enpough, if I have no script running, just the tape in the drive, it recognizes the tape properly an, what's much more strange, it verifies fine.

What's going wrong here? I don't want to waste 18 GB free on this tape and just switch to member 7-...

Regards

Matthias Mansfeld

<sigh> don't know. This was a brand new tape whitch was written 3 times on. 1x by Veritas Backup Exec, 2x by Retro. Heads are cleaned regularely. 2 out of 10 tapes bad. That's sh***

Just imagine, I tried all again and tadaaa everthing was ok.

Seems that I should on the long run drop this tape technology at all. If my SCSI NS20 drive dies, the currently available 20/40GB Travan drives ar NOT EVEN READ compatible, becaues the NS20 was the last Travan with HW compression, the newer 20/40 GB drives use SW compression. Great idea what happens if I have a fire and my hardware is destroyed. Then I can take my tapes as christmas tree decoration mad.gifconfused.gif

Meanwhile I'm a bit pi**** off by the tape mfgs. Had the same trouble with Tandberg. Had a wonderful Panther Mini and a great 30 tapes rotation scheme for restoring nearly each day from the last three years with "normal" backup SW - complete line fully discontinued.

I think I will change over to my Fujitsu MO drive. Maybe needs some more media (hehe but not sooo many as with other backup sw) but the MO drive industry made their drives always fully read and mostly write compatible to older media formats.

Regards

Matthias

Archived