Marking directories as

Howdy!

Is there an easy way to mark a directory tree so it won't be backed up without actually starting Retrospect? For example, if I install CorelDraw but don't want to back up its program directory because I can easily reinstall, right now, I have to start Retrospect and add "c:\program files\corel" to the list of directories to exclude.

What I would rather do is just use Windows explorer, look at the Corel directory's attributes, and set a "don't backup" attribute, much like you can set a "Read Only" or "Allow Indexing" attribute.

Even better: I'd love to be able to drop a file, like ".dontbackup" (unix-like, in this case) into the base directory of each directory tree I want completely skipped during the backup. The presence of the file should cause the directory tree to be skipped.

If something analagous to these techniques already exists, please let me know. If not, please consider this a suggestion.

--- Uwe

• 1 month later...

I am using Retro Workgroup for Windows v5.6 and have the following options available.

WINDOWS Client

If you are using clients to back up your machines, then you can create a backup exclusion list right in the Client - Access panel.

MAC Clients

Client - Preferences - Access has a check box which when enabled will stop backup of any file, folder or volume that has an option-8 (bullet) at the start or end of it's name.

I haven't used these but noticed they were there.

Let me know if this works for you,

Ed

Archived