Dantz - where are you?

I can't believe that I can post a note to this forum that states that restoring dynamic drives fails every time - and NO ONE from Dantz even bothers to answer as to confirm/deny/request additional information, etc. Do they not monitor these forums, as one more way of identifying problems with their software - as well as offering possible solutions?

To reiterate - if I have upgraded my boot drive on ANY of my Dell servers (PowerEdge 6600, 4400, 2300), prior to backing them up, ALL of them give me the BSD after restoring and rebooting - if I have also upgraded the boot disk on the rebuilt server.

So - Server A has been upgraded. I back it up in my normal routine. A month later it dies - and I grab my latest recovery tape. I rebuild the server - upgrading the boot drive. Then I restore the tape - and reboot. When it comes back up, I get the BSD *EVERY TIME!!!*

How can I avoid the BSD? By not upgrading the server I am rebuilding before doing the restore. But - if I *EVER* do try to upgrade the boot drive to Dynamic after restoring? Then I get the BSD after rebooting - *sometimes* I only get it once & the drive reverts back to Basic - other times I have a server I can no longer recover...and continually get the BSD.

Please note that if I did not upgrade my boot disk to Dynamic, restores work just fine...the only difference is the fact I have upgraded the boot disk.

So - what is Dantz going to do about it? I only have Dell servers - so I don't know if any other servers experience the same problem. But since Dell is one of the major manufacturers of servers, I would think that Dantz would want to find a solution to this problem. Don't you?

As noted in the forum rules:

Our community-based forum is not an official means of contacting Dantz support. If you have an urgent question or would like to discuss a specific Retrospect topic with a Dantz technical support representative, please go to:

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/contact.dtml

Moderators are Dantz Employees who focus on:

-Gathering feedback that will be forwarded to the appropriate Dantz Department

-Identifying possible content for Knowledge Base

-When possible, correcting erroneous information in the forums.

Moderators will also attempt to maintain proper decorum in the discussion forums.

Due to post volume and other factors, Moderators may not respond promptly, or at all, to these discussions.

As far as the issue you are seeing, this knowledgebase document might be helpful:

Restoring a Dell after formatting the disk

Posts which do not follow the Rules of Conduct will be deleted.

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/conduct.dtml

"You agree not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of another's privacy, or that violates any law."

Our development team restored a partition then successfully upgraded the disk to dynamic. The issues you are reporting could not be reproduced.

Archived