Fast Laptop Backup

askirkland

I have a number of OS X laptops on a wireless network that need to be backed up. They have anywhere from 10GB to 40GB of data each. Mostly video, images, and PowerPoint / Keynote presentations. I have another OS X Tower with about 500GBof data with a wireless connection (could be wired to 100mbps net) that needs to be backed up. These laptops are not in the office everyday or overnight ever. Is there a good way connect these via Firewire to and external backup server? (Without having to take the laptop running target mode and manually connect another computer with some storage.

I was also thinking about getting some external Firewire drives and making images of the laptops... then bouncing this image to tape. Then wipe the drives for the next laptop archival. Can anyone think of a good... very fast... semi or completely automated way of accomplishing this?

Info - I have an airport extreme wireless network connected to a 10/100 wired network. One of the laptops has a airport extreme card in it… I currently have a win2k server running Retro Multi-Server v6 with an 8 tape DDS4 autoloader running all day and night on the network for other clients.

Thanks!

Spence

• 1 month later...

Hi

If you are really concerned about speed your best bet is to install retrospect on each of the machines and carry a firewire drive between them. Just like you said in your post.

As far as automation is concerned, well... you can scehdule an automatic transfer of the data on the backup firewire drive to your tape. The manual connection of the drive could get to be a real hassle though.

Nate

Archived