error -505 (backup client reserved)

I am running Retrospect 6.5 multiserver, backing up approximately 30 clients, c. 25 Windows and c. 5 linux. I have had a number of Retrospect server crashes, after which some of the clients cannot be accessed. The error is error -505 (backup client reserved). The User's Guide states to resolve this by rebooting both systems, but some of the client systems involved are 24/7 or close to it, so I cannot always reboot them when I need to do so.

This is a big problem. There are a ton of posts and resources for dealing with this issue in OS/X, and I can easily resolve it in linux by killing the client processes and manually restarting, but I cannot resolve it for my windows clients without rebooting. I have restarted the services, etc., but no luck without rebooting.

Does anyone know of a workaround short of rebooting the entire system? If not, this poses a big problem to utilization of Retrospect in a high-availability environment.

Thanks,

Rhian Merris

merrisr@saic.com

This error will often happen after a network connection failure. You may see some additional errors in the operations log, like an error 519.

You can go to the services control panel and stop the client service (RetroClient), and then start the client service again.

Thanks for the quick responses and the link. Those command-line options should be helpful.

So, great news - I tried Sysinternals' freeware pstools (pskill and psexec) and killed the retroclient process remotely, then restarted it and that worked! I'm not sure why just restarting the service didn't work, but maybe that had to do with leaving it idle. Did you mean to leave it idle after stopping and before restarting? If so, I didn't really do that, so maybe that made a difference.

Thanks! I'll post more if I discover anything else relevant, but I'm in much better shape if I can at least kill and restart the client.

Rhian Merris

merrisr@saic.com

Archived