Backup set Member

luke123

Help please,

Incremental backup on retrospect 6.0 was working fine until I restarted the computer. Before my problem started retrospect first verified the clients and then set their status to source, now it verifies the first client sets it to ready and gives me an error that reads "select backup set member", I don't understand why it asks this. The member is already selected and the catalog is the same one I was using before.

Any hints are welcomed,

Luke

Are you doing an immediate backup or are you using a Proactive Backup Script? Immediate Backup does not normally display "source".

"media" would mean that a new disk or tape is required, or the previous one is not inserted/recognized

Using a Proactive Backup Script. The funny thing is that it almost looks like its going to do a backup but then it gives that error message "select backup set member", then when I select the member it gives me two choices "skip" or "ignore", I don't want to do either, I want the clients computer to be backed up. If I skip it it asks me the same thing for next client. Hope this makes sense.

If Retrospect is displaying a media request dialog box, then it is an indication that the wrong media is inserted. What is the exact name of the media Retrospect is requesting? What is the exact name of the media that appears in the window that you have inserted.

Quote:

If Retrospect is displaying a media request dialog box, then it is an indication that the wrong media is inserted. What is the exact name of the media Retrospect is requesting? What is the exact name of the media that appears in the window that you have inserted.

Retrospect is requesting "Please insert the backup set member: 1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2, if disk is unavailable, please click choices." When I click on choices I get the following "Retrospect is waiting to append data to member 1-BHD-Golf-LAB. You may start writing to a new disk using one of the following options: 1st choice: MISSING-ignore this member, copying its files again at next backup, 2nd choice: IGNORE-copy to a new member, ignoring remaining space on this member."

This is what shows up in the application log after the message pops up:

5/26/2003 11:03:00 AM: Copying GCHD on Glen's Ti PowerBook

5/26/2003 11:03:00 AM: Connected to Glen's Ti PowerBook

The Backup Set member "1-BHD-Golf-MAC" is corrupt or has data from another set.

Back when it did work the application log read as follows:

-5/23/2003 3:01:24 PM: Copying Drive C (C:) on WK-L-EAAMOT

5/23/2003 3:01:24 PM: Connected to WK-L-EAAMOT

5/23/2003 3:05:53 PM: Snapshot stored, 16.5 MB

5/23/2003 3:06:08 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 32 files, 41.6 MB

Performance: 113.2 MB/minute

Duration: 00:04:40 (00:03:46 idle/loading/preparing)

Thanks for taking the time to help,

Lucas

Okay, if Retrospect is asking for "1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2" what have you inserted? If you have inserted anything other then "1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2" then you must insert a erased tape, click choice and then skip.

Below the window that says please insert....Retrospect will display the name of the media you have actually inserted.

Quote:

Okay, if Retrospect is asking for "1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2" what have you inserted? If you have inserted anything other then "1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2" then you must insert a erased tape, click choice and then skip.

Below the window that says please insert....Retrospect will display the name of the media you have actually inserted.

I have "1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2" inserted as the media. The disks that I currently have inside the computer are the same ones I started having this problem with. "Golf ROD2 G:\)" is the name of the disks (2 x 152gb drives) currently have inside the computer. Inside the disks I have the following directories:

Golf = G:\

G:\Retrospect (inside this Retrospect folder I have the following folders):

BHD-Golf-DESKTOP

BHD-Golf-LAB

BHD-Golf-LAPTOP

BHD-Golf-MAC

BHD-Golf-SERVER

Dantz 0KB file

Each of the folders above contain a subfolder named after it self:

G:\Retrospect\BHD-Golf-DESKTOP\1-BHD-Golf-DESKTOP

G:\Retrospect\BHD-Golf-LAB\1-BHD-Golf-LAB

G:\Retrospect\BHD-Golf-LAPTOP\1-BHD-Golf-LAPTOP

AND SO ON.....

Inside the subfolders I have retrospect disk backup sets, that were put there by retrospect when it was working. I don't want to delete these backup sets because they are the backups for this month, all I want retrospect to do is to continue with proactive backups on this disk. Is my directory structure corrupt?

Quote:

Retrospect is requesting "Please insert the backup set member: 1-BHD-Golf-LAB on Golf ROD2, if disk is unavailable, please click choices." When I click on choices I get the following "Retrospect is waiting to append data to member 1-BHD-Golf-LAB. You may start writing to a new disk using one of the following options: 1st choice: MISSING-ignore this member, copying its files again at next backup, 2nd choice: IGNORE-copy to a new member, ignoring remaining space on this member."

This is what shows up in the application log after the message pops up:

5/26/2003 11:03:00 AM: Copying GCHD on Glen's Ti PowerBook

5/26/2003 11:03:00 AM: Connected to Glen's Ti PowerBook

The Backup Set member "1-BHD-Golf-MAC" is corrupt or has data from another set.

Retrospect is looking for member 1 of disk backup set "BHD-Golf-LAB" that is located on the disk: Golf ROD2. From the posted log entry, you are directing Retrospect to try to use member 1 from disk backup set "BHD-Golf-MAC." Try directing Retrospect to the appropriate folder that contains the members for "BHD-Golf-LAB."

If this is the only backup set experiencing this issue, your backup set and/or backup set catalog may be corrupt. Try going to Tools > Repair > Recreate from Disk and rebuild the catalog.

Archived