Hello.

I'm having trouble formulating some custom selectors. My user names are "geoff" and "alison", and originally I just set a selector to get enclosing folders with names matching "geoff" and "alison". However, that was getting other folders with those names that I didn't want copied.

So I'm trying to do exact paths. But none of my selectors have worked. I've tried the following (my hard drive name is "Ganda") selectors of enclosing folders matching/containing the path names:

"Ganda:Users:geoff:"

"Ganda:Users:geoff"

"Ganda/Users/geoff/"

"Users:geoff"

"Users:geoff:"

None work. Nothing gets selected. I suppose it's possible that these selections are being overridden by by excluding selections, but this backup set worked fine when I simply asked it to backup enclosing folders "geoff" and "alison". I've checked the spelling, and it's correct. I'm at my wits' end and have gotten *extremely* frustrated, if for no other reason than it takes 15 minutes for the program to scan my hard drive every time I've tried something new. Any suggestions?

TIA.

- geoff

OK, ignore this request. I think any or all of the selectors I listed would work. The problem was the process I was using to test each.

I had the "Immediate Backup" window open. I clicked "Preview" to see where I was starting from. I then would go into the selector, make changes, save the selector, and click "Preview" again. That was the problem -- Retrospect wasn't loading in the new version of the selector, so my changes didn't get implemented. I had to change to another selector and then change it back before it would work. Shortly thereafter, I also learned about the "Check Selector..." option in the Selector menu. So that works too.

I'm just relieved that I can get to backing up!

- geoff

Quote:

Go to configure volumes. Browse the disk containing the path. Right click on the directory and choose "properties". Retrospect will display the exact path with the exact formatting required when you add it to the selector.

Hmmm... That's a useful trick, thanks, but that functionality doesn't seem to be available on the Mac OS X version. Control-clicking does nothing.

Archived