I've been running workgroup 4.3 with 10 clients. All was working just fine. But after upgrading my OS to Jaguar (10.2.6 to be specific), I find that 4.3 isn't supported by classic. OK. Fine. Now I have to upgrade my workgroup to 5.0. Do I also have to upgrade all my clients? They're running on a variety of OSs from 7.5 to 10.2.4.

Abbe Lougee

How are you backing up a 10.2.4 client with Retrospect 4.3? That version doesn't support OS X.

You do not need to update OS 7-9 clients as long as they are running TCP/IP. Retrospect 5.0 does not support AppleTalk clients.

OS X Clients need to be running 5.0 or later client software.

Quote:

Do I also have to upgrade all my clients?

Important: As Mayoff notes, Retrospect 5.0 does not support AppleTalk protocol for clients, only TCP/IP. And Retrospect TCP/IP support is available only for PowerPC based Macintosh computers. So if you're backing up old Quadra class (or older) clients with your existing 4.3 install, these will _not_ be supported by 5.0.

The actual client software can be upgraded via the Retrospect application, so you don't have to visit any of the clients for a hands-on upgrade.

Note the client license codes you used for 4.3 won't be valid for 5.0; be sure you buy a 5.0 package with support for the number of clients you have.

Dave

Archived